Monday, March 1, 2010

My name is Beach, Bondi Beach

 

King's Cross, where we were staying, was an odd area. As I previously mentioned, it had a cluster of backpacker-oriented places as well as a strip of, er, strip clubs. Then just a road away it had some posh bars and restaurants. Very odd. Still, it was conveniently located; we took the train two stops in the opposite direction this morning to arrive at Bondi junction, and took a connecting bus down to the world famous Bondi Beach.

a (201)

Bondi was surprisingly pleasant. I was expecting it to be packed with bronzed posers with attitude, but the vibe was relaxed and unpretentious. The bay was too developed for my liking, with houses and high rises hugging its curve, but having such an undeniably clean and lovely beach so close to the centre must be a real draw for Sydney siders.

a (206)

A very good friend told me once that I should try surfing and when I arrived to Bondi I quickly look for a surf shop and I picked up a course. Such an enjoyment I couldn’t believe I’m actually doing it in that freaking freeze cold water which was 19C. Soon after that 3 hours surfing the horizon I headed for some sun-tan. You need sunblock here!!!! I got myself badly burned which is not a very smart choice.

a (214)

Over some fish 'n' chips and an ice cream/ gelato I back in the centre, I spotted a Krispy Kreme Donut store. Noriko (another backpacker I met along the way) had been told to mercilessly hunt one of these down by one of her friends, as apparently they made the best doughnuts ever. So we performed a taste test on a nearby park bench. Results: good, but not mindblowing. Further research has revealed that we tried the wrong doughnut: their masterpiece is apparently the original glazed.

a (216)

The time had come for Noriko and I to part company this year. We'd travelled together for over 2 days, and had a great laugh doing so. We vowed to stay in touch, and both bitten by the travelbug, we promised to look for opportunities to travel together again in the future.

Next : I meeting Alice in Springs!!!

Stanly

No comments: